If you want to attend a university or college in New Zealand you will need a student visa. Following documents will be required for the application purposes:
- Valid passport – Your passport must be valid for at least three months beyond your period of stay in New Zealand
- Completed Student Visa Application Form (INZ 1012)
- Application fee payment receipt, as you are required to pay Rs 11,760 before your interview
- An offer of place – You need to have an offer of place from a New Zealand institute/university. The forms are usually issued after the tuition fees have been received
- Letter from your current institution confirming status as a study abroad student
- Health insurance receipt
- You may be required to show Health and Character certificates, to prove that your intention of staying in New Zealand is genuine
- Two passport size photographs
Note: Additional documentation may be required. During the personal interview, additional documents may be requested by the interviewer. These may be documents to prove evidence of academic or financial status.
- Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended
- Scores from tests that your college required, such as TOEFL, GRE, or GMAT
- How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs
The average time taken by the New Zealand High Commission for the visa procedure is anywhere between 8 to 12 weeks depending on the individual’s background. So the students need to apply for their visas at least three months prior to their course commencement.
As an international student, you must complete your course within the minimum course duration listed on your acceptance letter. If you do not yet have a job offer, you may apply for a Post-study work visa. Visas granted are valid for up to 12 months and allow you to work in a temporary job while you look for a job in your field.
You can work part-time for up to 20 hours per week if your programme of study meets one of these criteria:
- It is at least two years in duration
- It leads to a New Zealand qualification that qualifies for points towards an application for a Skilled Migrant visa.
- It is a tertiary institution, and the main purpose is to develop English language skills – you must also have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score of 5.0 or above in the general or academic modules.
You may work full-time during all vacations if you are enrolled in a full-time programme of study of at least one academic year’s duration. If your full-time programme of study has a duration of at least eight months, and is a minimum of two semesters, but is less than 120 credits, you can work full-time over the Christmas and New Year holiday period.